Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sweaters - proof

I was having a hard time getting good pics of Dunkle's cardi for some reason, but here it is:

dunkle deck

dunkle front

The color is a bit off, even though I took the pictures outside in natural light - ah well. My sister loved it, and so did everyone I showed it to :) I ended up using the buttons DP had chosen, and everyone seemed to think they fit with the rest of the sweater, so no problems there. For the steek, I decided that instead of tacking it down, I'd use stitch witchery (small strips of fusible interfacing) to keep the steeks from popping up. I had to cut it even thinner, but it worked like a charm. I tried to take pictures, but I couldn't get a good one, so you'll just have to imagine it :)

I'm about 7.5 inches into the body of the zoe cardi; here's a couple of process shots:

elvish air 1

elvish air 2

I love how it's knitting up, but I'm mostly using it as bus knitting, so it's slowed down quite a bit. I did the neck and sleeve edgings already so that I can use every bit of the yarn I have left for the body. I'm short waisted, so I think that I'll have enough. Webs doesn't have the same color anymore, and no one on Ravelry is destashing it. I could buy a skein or two from a couple of other places, but beside the dye lot being different, I'd have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping. Sigh.

On the book front, I'm waiting for Gates of Fire (it's supposed to be delivered today), a book about the Spartans at Thermopylae. That battle has been one of my favorites ever since I first heard about it (3rd grade?), and after reading this description of the battle on the Silver Key blog, I went to Amazon and ordered it. Yes, I realize that battle and war are horrible, but like generations of people for thousands of years, hearing the stories of brave men gives me goosebumps.

Reading The Silver Key and The Blog That Time Forgot makes me feel almost brave enough to post some of my essays on Tolkien, so you may see one or two in the future.

Speaking of TBtTF, read this entry on Howard and his views of women. As Sam would say, for a lot of people this is an eye opener, and no mistake.

No comments: