Thursday, June 4, 2009

Subtexts

I think subtexts are interesting...you know, when you say one thing, mean another and know that the other person knows what you say is not what you mean? Like:

Do you want to go out with us tonight?
We don't want you to come, so we asked you at the last minute. Please say you don't want to go.

Sorry, I'm all booked up - maybe next time.
I know you don't want me to come with you, so I'm saying what you want to hear.

I just had an experience like that a few hours ago. Not a social one, but about something else. Conversations like that can seem paranoid to the people you explain them to, but usually when you have them, you just know.

My tie shawl is coming along well. I'm almost to the point where I start with the wool/mohair blend. I'm thinking of setting it to the side while I finish a pair of silk panties (wink!) and get a good start on my other shawl. I got the beads and finished stringing them on the yarn - what a pain! I had them on a bag in my lap (easier than in the bag) and thought to myself, I hope I don't spill these! About 10 seconds after thinking that - long enough that I was off my guard - something in the bag shifted and it started sliding off my lap onto the floor! I rescued most of my beads, but still.

I'm reading Tale of Two Cities as my bus ride book. It's so much nicer when you can skim the overly wordy parts.

No comments: