I still haven't finished those socks for DP! I only work on them on the bus, and the going is so slow. I really just have 15 more rows of ribbing on each sock, but it feels like an eternity.
I've been working up a new sock pattern and I'm a bit peeved. I'm using STR mediumweight in Bella Coola, and the striping is really, really pronounced. The colors are right, the weight is right, it's just that the bit of light blue in the yarn makes the other blues seem to stripe more. It hides the pattern (should have known!) making all the work meaningless. I guess the good thing is I'm getting to practice toe up gusset heels, which is something I don't have a lot of experience with. I think that if I write the pattern up, it will be with a short row heel, because that involves less fiddling, to my mind.
I'll probably make them in a solid yarn, after I finish the pair, just to see if the pattern is worth writing down at all.
In other news, I found two skeins of gold ribbon yarn - a shimmery gold bamboo! It's only 140 yards, so I'm not sure what to make of it :)
On the spinning front, I think I'm going to try to spin the buffalo down on my charka. I want to make a laceweight, and possibly ply it with some light brown cashmere. We'll see - the barber-pole effect might be too pronounced. I'm going to ask DP's advice, since he's good at helping me with color choices.