Monday, November 19, 2007

Hat headaches

Argh! For some reason, I just can't make hats to fit my head.

I made the Koolhaus hat from the IK gifts issue, and it's just too short. My sister loves it, and she would love it as a gift, but I can't give her a present that doesn't really fit. So, I'm going to give it to my 7 yr old cousin--he's very precocious, and I think he'll enjoy the cables :)

Next I tried to make Urchin from the Fall 07 Knitty. It was super easy and quick and cool...but it didn't fit my head, even as a jaunty cap. I ripped the whole thing out and will try to make it bigger. Argh!

I'm working on my third Wisp, and I'm really loving it. Who would have thought that yo/k2tog would be so fun? It's the perfect gift for non-knitters, since it looks so complicated :)

I also finally got a monkey off my back that's been sitting there for 3 years...silk and cashmere. 3 years ago, I was at a friend's house drinking port. We were talking about spinning, and she asked if I could spin up some silk and cashmere for a sweater for her. Under the effects of the port, anything was possible, so I said sure, no problem. That resulted in my buying 2 (!) drum carders, 2 lbs of silk and 2 lbs of cashmere, and a bunch of dye.

I dyed it all up, then proceeded to try to blend and spin it. It was horrible: neppy, static-y, time consuming.... So, I decided to buy some preblended silk/cashmere and try to spin THAT. Well, suffice it to say, I decided to pick up knitting as a form of avoidance :) I ended up with about 500 yards of worsted weight yarn and many pounds of fiber hiding around my apartment.

Finally, lightning struck. While I was surfing Webs a couple of weeks ago, I saw a worsted weight silk/cashmere yarn for only $5.99 a skein! I bought a sweater's worth and shipped it to my friend's house. I feel so free!!!

No comments: