Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snow and socks!

It snowed this morning! I was setting up for a meeting, watching the snow drift down, and wishing I could just be at home. Sigh.

I'm almost done with DP's plain stockinette socks. I have to finish the ribbing and do the afterthought heel, and finis. I'm pretty happy with how the striping worked out, since I didn't really plan for them to stripe at all. The yarn is STR mediumweight in Muddy Autumn Rainbow, and the heels are the same yarn in Bella Coola. The mediumweight gives a good springy sock that's not overly thick, but is nice and warm. I've discovered that DP needs at least some nylon or mohair in his socks, because he just ripped through the koigu autumny socks I made last year. Huge holes under the ball of each foot. I think I'm going to rip out the socks from the toe to the ball, and reknit them in something with some strength. I love making socks for him - he always appreciates and wears them, and he chooses his own colors. Something we can collaborate on :)

I ordered the buttons for my Uinen - little handmade brass ones from an Etsy store. I think they're going to be awesome. I'm tracking them on their journey to me, and they are currently in Coppel, TX. Maybe I'll get them by the weekend!

I'm still trying to work out the pattern for my handwarmers; the transition is tougher than I thought it would be, and I spent two hours screwing around with it to no avail. I think I have to tweak the lace to make the pattern run over fewer rows so the transition isn't as jarring, and possibly combine two transitions to make it work. If I ever finish the dang things, I'll let you know.

I don't know what to do about Christmas...maybe stockings with lotion bars or something? Is it better to give something that people might not like or give nothing, or just give everyone $25 and be done with it?

No comments: